North Korea’s denuclearisation to be completed by 2021: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

The process of rapid denuclearisation of North Korea, which will be done by constant negotiations with the United States, will be completed by 2021, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday. In a statement, Pompeo hoped that the nuclear talks between the two countries would lead to long-lasting peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula. Congratulating North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korean president Moon Jae-in on the “successful outcome” of the meeting between them in Pyongyang, Pompeo said, “We welcome President Moon and Chairman Kim’s reaffirmation of the Singapore joint statement of complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, including the permanent dismantlement of all facilities at Yongbyon in the presence of US and IAEA inspectors.”

“We also welcome Chairman Kim’s decision to complete the previously announced dismantlement of the Tongchang-ri site in the presence of U.S. and international inspectors as a step toward the final fully verified denuclearization of North Korea, as agreed by Chairman Kim at the Singapore summit with President Trump,” he added. The US Secretary of State further noted that Washington “is prepared to engage immediately in negotiations to transform relations between the two countries.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*